Best Tyre Choices for Wet NL weather

Speciaal voor de beginnende mountainbikers.
Plaats reactie
okamics2
Mountainbiker
Mountainbiker

Hi all.

I just got my brand new Giant XTC SLR 1 - 29" coming with Maxxis Recon Race 29x2.25 EXO tubeless front and back. It was only my second weekend with the bike riding in a mix of mud and loose soil... My conclusion, is that I am not sure I can make the next 6 winter months with those. In summary it was very tough going (or trying to) uphill in mud this weekend :P

I think I should change, at least my back tyre to handle the rain and the weather coming up until next summer, but I am finding it quite challenging to find the right combination for me.

I am looking for a good all-around tyre set that can handle the mud, but that can also work well on forest terrain where its very soft bu not muddy. Plus I often do 5k on a normal fietspad to get to my local tracks.

Any suggestion for a tyre set?
And, is it an idea to keep a Recon Race in front and just change the back (for example I was reading about the "Schwalbe Magic Mary Evolution ADDIX Soft Super Gravity"). Is this a good idea, or should I keep my Recon Race for next summer?

Thanks en sorry voor het schrijven in het Engels :wink:

Christian
Patrick_V
Elite Mountainbiker
Elite Mountainbiker
Mijn mountainbike: Canyon Stoic 3

For me the dedicated wet allrounder is the mountainking from continental. Front and back. Good rolling resistance and good traction, even on wet wood/trunks.

Better than nobby nic,'s

And always put the best traction tire up front!
Laatst gewijzigd door Patrick_V op zo 15 november 2020, 21:28, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
TenZNL
Elite Mountainbiker
Elite Mountainbiker
Mijn mountainbike: Opvallend kleurrijk

Hi Christian,

You might wanna get some less beefy then the Magic Mary, this is a heavy enduro/downhill tyre with a lot of drag and rolling resistance on the flats and the climbs. For an allround set I used the Maxxis Ardent Race (rear) and a Maxxis Forekaster up front. Wolfpack Race (R) and Cross (F) is a good allround combi too (and somewhat faster than de Maxxis`).

Where do you ride?
Knakworstkweker

All year round Maxxis Ikon rear, Ardent race front.

Dat joe ken fietsen doessent mien joe ken mauwtenbaik
Lars TB
Elite Mountainbiker
Elite Mountainbiker

Anything with bigger studs. But don't go towards DH orientated tires, the ruin the fun in the Netherlands (to much rolling resistance).
Weg met de labrador onderdelen!

"Mountainbikers don't get old. They just go downhill"
daniel1975
Elite Mountainbiker
Elite Mountainbiker
Mijn mountainbike: Orbea Oiz TR

Knakworstkweker schreef: ma 16 november 2020, 21:39 All year round Maxxis Ikon rear, Ardent race front.

Good luck with those on clayey tracks like Zoetermeer or Bergschenhoek.....
Absolutely no grip in circumstances like this week with anything less than a Nobby Nick or similar (Wolfpack Cross, Maxxis Forecaster, etc).
Bicycle, bicycle, bicycle
Knakworstkweker

daniel1975 schreef: ma 16 november 2020, 22:28
Knakworstkweker schreef: ma 16 november 2020, 21:39 All year round Maxxis Ikon rear, Ardent race front.

Good luck with those on clayey tracks like Zoetermeer or Bergschenhoek.....
Absolutely no grip in circumstances like this week with anything less than a Nobby Nick or similar (Wolfpack Cross, Maxxis Forecaster, etc).

I own a bike not a tractor
baron062
Mijn mountainbike: 101mk1/H3/601mk2/....

I had the tire setup Knakworstenkweker described. My current setup of Wolfpack Race and Speed gives me much more confidence (grip) and less rollingresistance.

Works also on wet zand trials.
Michel.nl
Mountainbike Junk
Mountainbike Junk
Mijn mountainbike: Canyon Nerve 29'er fully

Vittoria Barzo @ front and mezcal @ the back. This combo gives me more traction than my Schwalbe combo Racing Ray and ralph.
Vrijwilliger onderhoudt van MTB route Beetsterzwaag en Drachten

MTB TEAM Drachten Beetsterzwaag
Makkelijk
Elite Mountainbiker
Elite Mountainbiker

Superstupid discussion with very nobbyless tire suggestion based on where people ride themself.

So question 1: where do you ride?

Suggestions for general muddy xc terrain: Nobby nic f/r. Wolfpack trail f / cross r. Forecaster f/r. Generally forecaster is considered very strong in the mud.
Waar woke is, is vuur
daniel1975
Elite Mountainbiker
Elite Mountainbiker
Mijn mountainbike: Orbea Oiz TR

Makkelijk schreef: di 17 november 2020, 08:55 Superstupid discussion with very nobbyless tire suggestion based on where people ride themself.

So question 1: where do you ride?

Suggestions for general muddy xc terrain: Nobby nic f/r. Wolfpack trail f / cross r. Forecaster f/r. Generally forecaster is considered very strong in the mud.
+1 :-q
Nobbyless on muddy terrain is useless.
Bicycle, bicycle, bicycle
Mark-V
Elite Mountainbiker
Elite Mountainbiker
Contacteer:

Although there's a difference in muddy and muddy, I tend to be very happy with my current CrossKing tires. They roll well, but grip (especially at 1.2 bar) is pretty good as well.
The MountainKing has also been mentioned, which have better grip, but the rolling resistance is higher as well. It's the next logical step, therefore you might even want to consider taking them both as a combination.

If you look at the Continental website they have a few others for mud as well, but to be honest I think they wouldn't fit your needs that much since you also want to ride the bicycle paths here ;)

https://www.continental-tires.com/bicyc ... bike-tires
Stunning
Elite Mountainbiker
Elite Mountainbiker
Mijn mountainbike: Cannondale F-Si Hi Mod, Kona Kahuna

A very under rated, yet a very great set of tyres (so yes, front and rear) for your purposes is the Schwalbe Smart Sam Addix 2.25mm.

They came on my bike and was planning to switch them instantly, but I did not due to lack of doing it and came to the conclusion that these are truly allround tyres.

So great on the road and even great in mud, they clear mud very good. They roll great and are relatively fast. Trust me, I have tested many, many tyres in the past... Almost manic...

The nice part is, they are very affordable !
okamics2
Mountainbiker
Mountainbiker

A big thank you to everyone for your response, it does help a lot, and its very cool to see the quick response!

BTW, to add to the whole discussion, I got an email from Maxxis where they are also proposing Agressor alongside Forekaster.

And yes, how muddy is muddy, one tough question to answer :oops:

Thanks again!

Christian
Plaats reactie