To Boost or not to Boost...

Welke bike is nu de goede? Het merk blijft deels een persoonlijke keuze en voorkeur. Respecteer die!
Plaats reactie
Kapitein Iglo

Nee natuurlijk. Dan had ik het wel gemeld :tong
Doneer en help mee!

Ibis Ripmo AF 2022
Pace RC529 2019
Sonder Camino Al Apex1 2018

Retired: Nukeproof Scout 290, 2x Trek Superfly 7, Stevens Fluent, Stevens S7
Lars TB
Elite Mountainbiker
Elite Mountainbiker

Mario070 schreef:Ik ga de tekst erbij halen :roll: :wink:
Deze tekst is van de foto's
Some photos
Reign. It is only 3 mm per side and it is possible to to get it in without much effort and the rotor and disk line up without problems. I used a boost hub and smaller disk just for demonstration purposes as gives a better idea than with a wheel is place.
It also important to check how the wheel line symmetry in the frame.

Also showing a stumpjumper frame.
En ik pak ook nog ff van andere zonder foto's, maar wel duidelijk geschreven wat ze hebben gedaan en bij welk type fame's
I have a 2014 Trek Stache 8 that I am using on in indoor trainer this winter. I had a trainer wheel made and the bike shop used a 148 boost hub. I was a bit worried myself and am still thinking about talking with the LBS to see if they can swap out the hub for a 142. I did do a ride with in on the trainer and it did work. The rear of the Stache appeared to be designed for a 148 boost hub. The frame did not have to be spread out at all. I am not running a brake on the trainer, so that is a non issue. The cassette and chainline are perfect. I did not have to adjust anything. All gears change without problem.

So in my case having a 148boost in my 2014 Stache worked without problem. When I have the 142 hub in and secure it, there is a lot more squish to secure the two sides of the frame around the hub then with the 148 boost hub. I would think the 142 was/is putting more stress on the frame than the 148 boost.

En de laatste
I have a Scott Scale 2015 with rear axle 12x142. As I am ordering a pair of custom made wheels I have tried a boost wheel (the one coming with the 2017 Scott Scale) in my bike. I didn't need to force the frame to put th boost wheel in, everything seems to work perfectly, no need even to adjust rear derrailleur to get all gears working, just needed to adjust slightly the position of the brake caliper... I just need a longer thru axle as the original one is 6mm shorter and only get a few thread turns into the frame.
My current axle is a DT Swiss RWS M12 x 166mm lenght x 1 thread pitch with flat head, not conical-tapered as Syntace X-12.
I have asked in my local Scott distributor but apparently Scott or DT Swiss does not sell yet the axle used in the 2017 bike, which would be perfect.
I have only found a couple of valid axles on american websites, but that would be to much of a fuss to order, due to customs and shipping issues.
Anyone have done something similar or could help to find a valid axle??
An axle with with flat head and 190mm lenght or more could help, no matter the thread, as I could cut the thread and get a new thread machined at 1 pitch.
Hopelijk duidelijk genoeg nu.....zijn er nog verdere vragen of opmekingen, heb ik helaas geen antwoord....ik zelf nog QR 135mm :D :-q
Sorry, dit is leuk en aardig, maar gewoon fout.

Maakt me niet zoveel uit wat die lui nu aangeven, als een fabrikant een frame voor 142 mm maakt, dan past daar geen 148 mm in. Tenzij er iets grondig fout is gegaan. Misschien als je een aantal frames gaat meten kom je op 143 mm ipv 142 mm, maar meer kan en mag dit niet zijn. Het is logisch dat zelfs als je de boel uit buigt zowel het schakelen goed gaat als de remschijf ook past. Boost corrigeert namelijk de positie van die cassette en schijf ten opzichte van de asuiteinden en komt daarmee op dezelfde plaats uit als bij 142 mm (in tegenstelling dus van een 142 mm as met Boostadapter plaatsen in een Boost frame).

Ieder normaal persoon zal de achtervork dus uit moeten buigen om een Boost achterwiel in een 142 mm frame te krijgen. Dat durf ik bij een enkel hardtail frame ook nog wel aan (hoewel ik het niet aan zou raden), maar bij een FS is het absoluut niet slim omdat je de lagers extreem gaat belasten en je waarschijnlijk in mum van tijd speling hebt.

Ergo: omdat het gedaan wordt betekent het nog niet dat het kan op de juiste manier... .
Weg met de labrador onderdelen!

"Mountainbikers don't get old. They just go downhill"
Plaats reactie