Race & Rock Around the Clock:::Saalbach

Heb je nieuws dat met biken te maken heeft, plaats het hier, zodat je medebikers het ook weten!
Plaats reactie
Jass
Reporter
Reporter
Mijn mountainbike: ::: Specialized SX Trail ::: Trek Ticket :::
Contacteer:

Race & Rock Around the Clock: Oliver Lorincz and Lisi Hager win the 24 Hours of Saalbach Hinterglemm

31.05.04 – For some they were the longest 24 hours in their life, for others a unique experience, the adidas 24 Hours of Saalbach Hinterglemm. The Race & Rock Around the Clock as part of the adidas Bike ’n Soul Opening was not only demanding for participants, but also challenged the people looking after them as well as spectators and organisers.

Afbeelding

The 3.9 kilometre long course was not too technical but with 200 metres in elevation gain very tough. Solo rider Oliver Lorincz from Hungary, who won the race with 70 laps in 24 hours, climbed a total of 14,200 vertical metres or, to put it differently, up to the altitude of an airplane. Lorincz, coach of the Hungarian Cross Country national team, started the race at a very high pace. “I came here to win”, he said, “and I tried to quickly get ahead of Mario and the other single competitors.” After only two hours, the 32 year old had a lead by one lap over 24 hours World Champion Mario Amann from Austria. After six hours the advantage grew to two laps, after seven hours to three laps. But Amann fought back. The Austrian became faster and faster and reduced his lap time by two minutes. However, after ten hours his attack ended with a debacle. “It happened during my 38th lap”, he explained. “Everything seemed normal. I actually felt extremely good during the downhill, because after ten hours I can play my strengths in the race. I stopped at the tent to sit down for a few minutes and have a noodle soup and all of the sudden I passed out.” Amann had a severe collapse. “I didn’t ride at my normal pace. Trying to catch Lorincz, I got carried away. And on top of that I drank the wrong stuff – too sweet and not enough electrolytes. No wonder my body revolted. I must say that the rescue crew was exceptional, though. They immediately took care of me and sent me to the hospital.”

Afbeelding

Seven hours and five IVs later, the Austrian felt much better. “Being on the drip for so long was the worst. All I could think of was that right now the rest of the field will start into the most beautiful phase of the race.”

Afbeelding

Amanns thoughts circled around his thirty person fan club, which specifically came to Saalbach Hinterglemm to cheer for him. „Suddenly I knew that I must ride again for my fans. Even if it was only for the last hour.” So after 23 hours he joined the race again and completed four laps, celebrated by his fans. “When I crossed the finish line today, after all that had happened, this moment was more emotional than at the Worlds in Canada. I had goose bumps all over. And I was reminded that 24 hour races are all about finishing.”

Afbeelding

Lisi Hager, editor of Austrian Mountainbike Revue magazine and only woman among the solo riders, simply wanted to end the race, because the adidas 24 Hours of Saalbach Hinterglemm were her first ‘race around the clock’ ever. But with her exceptional performance she put every man in the shade. The tiny woman from Vienna completed 60 laps, climbing 12,000 vertical metres in 24 hours, and placed second overall. „It felt so easy“, she said with a big smile in the finish. “I actually expected to have a decline, because I always have one at long distance races. Well, not this time, I guess. But I closely watched my heart rate and tried to remain below 160. The course was tough, but it suited me. I like steep climbs. And I never got off my bike – in fact that is the thing I’m most proud of.” Throughout the race, the 26 year old was relaxed. She took a long dinner and breakfast break to take advantage of the abundant evening and morning buffets. “I must eat loads during a race and I cannot live of energy bars and gels. And the food offered by the organisers was exceptionally good. In fact, the whole organisation was outstanding. There was no lap during which I was not supported or cheered for by spectators or members of the organisation. And hearing Mike Mike announcing and DJ-ing on the other side of the hill was very motivating, because you never felt alone.”

Afbeelding

Another impressive performance was given by four local heroes - four young mothers, who only decided one month ago to start as a team at the 24 Hours of Saalbach Hinterglemm and held out until the very end. “We agreed that each one of us must ride three laps at a time, no matter how long it takes”, said Michaela Gensbichler. „During that time the others were able to shower, get a massage or simply relax for a while. Our maxim was ‘fight your way through, but with a big smile’. And we managed both.”

Afbeelding

Four men team adidas Natventure used the 24 hour race to prepare for the upcoming qualifications for the World Championships in Adventure Racing. „We enjoyed the competition, it was a lot of fun“, said team captain Marc Pschebizin, winner of the X-Terra Victoria 2000 in Australia. „At first we wanted to ride it as a long training session, but then we were hit by ambition and became faster and faster. It was also a great opportunity to test our new material, for example lamps, under race conditions.” Pschebizin’s team mate, Daniel Keller, Vice World Champion in long distance duathlon, broke the lap record. The Swiss needed a time of 11:01.78 minutes to complete loop number 17 – the average lap time was 20 minutes. With 110 laps in total, the adidas Natventure was the team with the most mileage in the race. Even the only eight person squad in the field, team faszinatur from Germany, could not beat the adventure racers – they finished 84 laps within the 24 hour period.
Klik hier voor meer foto's
.:Actionsports - Lifestyle - Photography:.
::: Jasper Leenarts Photography :::
les alpes
Mountainbike Junk
Mountainbike Junk

waanzinnig :o
Plaats reactie